Embedded Data Awareness in Digital Archives
- Implements Adobe XMP embedded metadata in the Omeka digital archive system.
- When an image is added to the archive if it contains an embedded Dublin Core record it will automatically load that information into the Omeka database.
- When the Omeka record is changed the embedded metadata is updated in the original file as well as all of its derivatives (thumbnails, etc).
- The embedded data reflect what is in the system and vice versa.
- To demonstrate the advantage of having and maintaining descriptive embedded metadata in the digital asset.
- The images become their own metadata repository.
- Reduces data input and errors. Provides interoperability.
- Contributes to the growing semantic nature of the Internet by allowing digital assets to be self-describing.
- Relies on XMP PHP Toolkit to interact with XMP data.
- Utilizes Omeka's plugin system extend its functionality.
- This is a very early plugin, it likely has many bugs and is intended as a demonstration.
- You *MUST* have XMP PHP Toolkit installed on the host of the Omeka installation for the plugin to work.
- Download plugin.
Visit Online Demo -- For instructions view the presentation below.